Mold in my house?

How can I tell if mold is in my house?

There are several signs that may indicate the presence of mold in your house. Look out for the following:

  1. Visual Clues: Discolored patches or growth on walls, ceilings, or other surfaces. Mold can appear in various colors, such as black, green, gray, brown, or white.
  2. Musty Odor: If you notice an earthy or musty smell, it could be an indication of mold growth. Trust your sense of smell if you suspect mold is present.
  3. Allergic Reactions: If individuals in the house, particularly those with mold allergies, experience symptoms like sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, or nasal congestion that seem to improve when away from the house, it could be a sign of mold exposure.
  4. Past or Present Water Damage: Check areas that have experienced water damage, such as after a flood, leaks, or plumbing issues. Mold tends to thrive in moist environments, so areas with water damage are more susceptible to mold growth.

Should I test my home for mold?

While testing can be helpful in detecting mold problems, it is not always necessary or feasible for everyone. Reliable air sampling for mold requires specialized equipment and expertise, which may not be readily available to the general public. Homeowners or tenants usually have to incur the cost of such testing.

Some insurance companies and public health agencies do not provide mold inspection services, considering it a responsibility of the homeowner or landlord. Housekeeping tasks, such as roof and plumbing repairs, regular cleaning, and yard maintenance, are typically seen as the responsibility of the homeowner or tenant.

If you suspect mold contamination based on visual clues or musty odors, it is generally recommended to take action without extensive testing. Mold growth is likely to recur unless the source of mold is eliminated, the affected area is cleaned, and steps are taken to prevent future moisture issues.

Here are some services we provide:

McArdles Cleaning & Restoration Technicians are the “face” of our business and more than likely the people you will have the most contact with. All of our technicians are highly trained – not only in the professional services they provide, but also in customer service. We see staff technical training as being a very important aspect of our service and hold frequent training sessions where all of our staff have the opportunity to develop and extend their knowledge.