How much mould can make me sick?

Can mould make you sick?

The extent to which mould can make you sick depends on various factors. For some individuals, even a relatively small amount of mould spores can trigger asthma attacks or other health problems. However, for others, symptoms may only occur when exposed to higher levels of mould. If you see or smell mould within your home, it is crucial to take steps to control and eliminate moisture, as well as clean up and remove the mould.

Are some moulds more hazardous than others?

Sensitivity to mould varies among individuals, including the amount and types of mould to which they react. Certain types of mould, such as “Stachybotrys chartarum,” have the potential to produce compounds called mycotoxins. However, mycotoxin production is not guaranteed, as it depends on various conditions such as temperature, pH levels, and the availability of a food source. When mycotoxins are present, they can be found in both living and dead mould spores, as well as in materials contaminated with mould. While Stachybotrys chartarum is actively growing, a wet slime layer prevents the mould spores from becoming airborne. However, when the mould dies and dries up, air currents or physical disturbance can easily spread the mould spores and make them airborne.

Who is at greater risk when exposed to mould?

Exposure to mould is unhealthy for anyone inside buildings. Therefore, it is always best to promptly identify, control, and eliminate moisture conditions before mould growth begins and causes health problems. However, certain individuals may be more susceptible to severe symptoms or rapid illness:

Individuals with pre-existing respiratory symptoms, such as allergies, chemical sensitivities, or asthma.

People with weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV infection, cancer, undergoing chemotherapy, etc.

Infants and young children.

The elderly.

If you have health problems that you believe are caused by moulds, it is advisable to consult a medical professional for further guidance and evaluation.

Here are some services we provide:

McArdles Cleaning & Restoration Technicians are the “face” of our business and more than likely the people you will have the most contact with. All of our technicians are highly trained – not only in the professional services they provide, but also in customer service. We see staff technical training as being a very important aspect of our service and hold frequent training sessions where all of our staff have the opportunity to develop and extend their knowledge.